Last firefighters stood down from scene of Cairngorms wildfire

SFRS Two firefighting vehicles in the Cairngorms National Park. One is a pick-up truck with yellow and red markings, and the other is a red van with the words "wildfire unit" on its side. The vehicles are parked on a forest track and there is dense forestry nearby.SFRS
Firefighters have been involved in the response since 15 July

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews have left the scene of a major wildfire that started in the Cairngorms National Park almost five weeks ago.

The last 15 firefighters were stood down at RSPB Abernethy Nature Reserve on Monday. RSPB staff continue to dampen down hotspots.

The wildfire started in the Glenmore area, near Aviemore, on 15 July and it has burned across about 10 sq miles (25 sq km) of moorland and forestry.

Some homes and campsites had to be evacuated, and at the height of the incident more than 500 firefighters were involved in the response.

RSPB Scotland said SFRS leaving the scene was an "important milestone" and the charity thanked everyone involved in tackling the fire.

A spokesperson added: "However, it will still be a while until we can safely welcome visitors back to RSPB Abernethy."

SFRS described the wildfire as a "complex and protracted" incident that caused disruption and worry for local communities and businesses.

RSPB Scotland A person wearing a yellow protective coat and a face covering uses a pick to break up burning peat and vegetation at Abernethy Nature Reserve.RSPB Scotland
The fire has burned through about 10 sq miles of moorland and woodland

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer William Pollard said: "While SFRS has now left the scene, we would remind members of the public that large areas of ground within the Cairngorms National Park have undergone significant disruption due to firefighting operations and the creation of firebreaks.

"Businesses across the area are reopening and look forward to welcoming the return of visitors.

"However, some locations remain closed due to unsafe ground conditions. We urge people to avoid closed zones and avoid entering restricted areas."

Forestry and Land Scotland has restricted public access to some parts of Glenmore Forest.

Grant Moir, chief executive of the Cairngorms National Park Authority, said many people had been involved in the firefighting effort.

"It is good to see it reach this point," he said.

Moir added that a lot of work had still to be done on assessing the damage caused by the wildfire.