Fireworks and torch events cancelled amid fire risk

Getty Images Generic image of fireworks - starbursts of orange and yellow fireworks against a dark sky, with red smoke and lights rising to the right.Getty Images
Organisers of Abingdon fireworks said it was not worth risking people's homes

Fireworks displays and a torch procession have been cancelled across the south of England as a result of increased fire risk caused by prolonged dry weather.

Abingdon International Fireworks Festival, which was due to take place in Oxfordshire on 29 August, has been cancelled and rescheduled for 10 April 2027.

A torchlight procession in Bridport, Dorset, for the town's carnival on Saturday has also been abandoned and Hampshire Air Festival said its fireworks display scheduled for 12 September would no longer take place.

Berkshire and Oxfordshire fire services meanwhile has asked people to stop using 999 to report neighbours having barbeques or bonfires and only use it for emergencies.

Organisers of the air show at Thruxton, near Andover, said in a statement: "In the current environmental conditions, we do not consider it responsible to introduce a large-scale ground firework display.

"The budget originally allocated to the firework display is being redirected into an expanded drone light show and an enhanced night-show finale."

TCExplorer / Geograph Aerial view of Thruxton Aerodrome and motor racing circuit on a cloudy day. There are two asphalt runways in a cross shape in the middle of a large area of grass. On the left of the picture are the hangars and circuit buildings. Lines of small aircraft are parked on the grass and on the tarmac taxiway. The race track runs around the edge of the site.TCExplorer / Geograph
Hampshire Air Festival takes place on 12 and 13 September at Thruxton Aerodrome

Organisers of the Abingdon event said ticket holders had been contacted, adding: "No fireworks display, however spectacular, is worth risking people's homes, livelihoods, our countryside or the safety of those who would have to respond if something went wrong."

Bridport Carnival said its torchlight procession involving about 1,000 people carrying flaming torches through the town, would not take place this year.

A spokesperson said: "We always leave the decision as late as possible, as conditions constantly change, but our professional colleagues have now advised that the event should not go ahead due to this years extreme weather conditions."

Weymouth Town Council Colourful fireworks at sea.Weymouth Town Council
Weymouth Town Council said it would move its fireworks barge further from the land

Shanklin Regatta, which takes place on the Isle of Wight on Saturday, has cancelled its fireworks, saying: "In light of the current climate and the increased risks posed, we feel that this is the responsible decision to ensure the safety of our community, visitors and surrounding area."

Weymouth Town Council opted to go ahead with its fireworks on Monday after discussions with its display contractor and Dorset's fire service.

It said: "Weymouth fireworks are launched from the sea by a firework company with years of experience.

"As a precaution, we will be moving the launching barge further away from land."

Bournemouth's display on Saturday was cancelled. BCP Council said: "Whilst the fireworks are launched from sea, the safety of residents, visitors and our open spaces must come first."

PA A hand holds a mobile phone displaying the government wildfire alert on the screenPA
Berkshire's fire service said it received a high volume of 999 calls reporting barbecues

A government alert was sent to mobile phones across the UK on Friday, urging people not to light anything, such as barbecues, bonfires or fire pits, due to the risk of wildfires.

On Sunday, Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service urged people to stop calling 999 to report their neighbours' barbecues and bonfires, saying the service had received "a high volume of calls".

In a Facebook post, it said: "While we understand residents' concerns during this dry, high-risk period, please only call 999 to report a genuine emergency.

"We cannot respond to reports of neighbours having a barbecue, bonfire or campfire in their garden unless an actual emergency is under way.

"Please keep our emergency lines clear so our crews can respond to life-threatening incidents."