Competitor killed in Manx Grand Prix crash named

MANX GRAND PRIX Mauro Poncini on his racing bike. He is wearing an orange newcomers bib over his leathers. The bike has 59 on the front.MANX GRAND PRIX
Mauro Poncini was a newcomer at the 2026 Manx Grand Prix

The rider who died in a crash during qualifying for the Manx Grand Prix races has been named.

Mauro Poncini, from Caslano in Switzerland, was involved in the crash on the opening lap of Tuesday's qualifying session. The 29-year-old was a newcomer at the Manx Grand Prix but had previously competed at the North West 200 in Northern Ireland.

The incident, which involved two riders, took place at Cruickshanks in Ramsey at about 18:50 BST.

Race organisers said: "The Manx Grand Prix Races pass on their deepest sympathy to his father Florio, mother Manuela, sister Marzia and girlfriend Sharon, as well as his family and friends."

They added: "Mauro was an experienced competitor within the Supersport and Supertwin classes, with an established record of competing at a number of road racing events prior to making his Mountain Course debut this year."

Green crash barriers on the left at Cruickshanks with more blue barriers ahead on the left and a white wall next to a pavement on the right.
The incident happened at Cruickshanks, which leads to May Hill on the Mountain Course

The Swiss Moto Federation, the governing body for motorcycle racing in Poncini's native Switzerland, expressed its "profound shock and immense sadness" at his death.

It said: "Mauro was a man with an extraordinary heart, deeply affectionate toward his loved ones and everyone around him.

"Thanks to his warm and open nature, he was well-loved by fellow riders and appreciated by all for his great humanity."

Offering its deepest condolences to Poncini's family, friends, fellow riders, and team, the federation said he was a "passionate and deeply committed rider", who "lived his passion wholeheartedly, with courage and absolute dedication".

"Now - far too soon - that very passion has taken him to the heavens," it added.

The road between Ramsey Bus Station and Lheaney Road in Ramsey remained closed for more than three hours after the crash.

Race organisers previously confirmed a multi-agency investigative process was under way in accordance with the event's standard operating procedures.

Qualifying for the 2026 Manx Grand Prix, which runs in parallel with the Classic TT races each August, began on Sunday.

The events are due to continue on the 37.7 mile (61km) Mountain Course until 28 August.

Read more stories from the Isle of Man on the BBC, watch BBC North West Tonight on BBC iPlayer and follow BBC Isle of Man on Facebook and X.