Summary

Have you been affected?

  1. More relief crews coming from across Englandpublished at 11:24 BST 31 July

    Laura Foster
    Senior reporter

    I've spotted two fire engines heading along the A12 in the direction of Suffolk, from Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.

    It shows just how far firefighters are travelling to help the crews in Dunwich.

    This group are just a handful of the fire crews who've been asked to help - with reinforcements already being deployed from Essex, Norfolk, London, East Sussex, Surrey, West Yorkshire and Northamptonshire.

  2. Huge amount of planning to help people collect belongingspublished at 11:23 BST 31 July

    We can now bring you more from Peter Langford, Suffolk County Council's emergency planning officer, who says there is a lot of planning going on behind the scenes so officials can work out when it will be safe for people to collect belongings.

    He says there will probably be a police escort and they will aim to send people in three large groups to each of the three holiday parks nearby.

    On Thursday, Suffolk chief fire officer Jon Lacey said there were approximately 100 to 150 people who had been evacuated from their accommodation, with 76 people at the Westleton rest centre directly affected.

    "There are other people at the caravan parks who evacuated and went their own way to another location," he said previously.

    "We are unable to collect exact numbers on those as they dispersed on their own."

  3. Wildfire impact 'horrendous', says local village hall chairpublished at 11:08 BST 31 July

    Luke Deal
    BBC Radio Suffolk

    I've also been catching up with Barbara Buckley, the chair of Westleton Village Hall, who has been helping coordinate help for those displaced by the fire.

    She says some people are still being housed in villagers' homes while others have decided to go home, leaving possessions behind.

    "You can imagine being told to get out of your caravan with just what you're wearing and a few possessions, and some people have no cars so it's really difficult."

    People naturally want to get their belongings, she says.

    Dunwich Heath is a well-known landmark, sitting so close to the village.

    "It's incredibly worrying to have it on the doorstep and [the scene] looks devastating.

    "And what it's doing to the wildlife and the area is horrendous. So, I'm so pleased that people are really taking care of us and we, therefore, in turn want to take care of people evacuated out of their sites."

  4. 'Window of opportunity' needed to help people - local officialpublished at 11:04 BST 31 July

    Luke Deal
    BBC Radio Suffolk

    A man smiles at the camera as he stands outside a village hall on a sunny day. He is standing in front of a police car. He has short grey hair and is wearing a hi-vis jacket with a blue polo top underneath.Image source, Luke Deal/BBC

    Peter Langford, Suffolk County Council's emergency planning officer, has now finished the briefing at Westleton Village Hall.

    The hall was packed out - I would say well over 100 people, including media as well.

    Afterwards I asked Langford what the situation was now, as thankfully on the horizon there is no longer a plume of smoke from where we're standing.

    "Whilst the fire isn't under control, it is certainly more manageable," he says.

    "The weather conditions are more favourable and we've got additional resources, national resources that have been deployed here to help contain that fire.

    "At the moment we are now looking at how we can get people that were evacuated back to collect personal possessions, pick up their cars, so they can then continue on back to their normal place of residence.

    "That will alleviate some of the problems we've got in terms of temporary accommodation, but the situation is still unstable, so we're looking for a window of opportunity to escort people back for a very brief period to pick up what they need."

  5. Map shows burnt area as firefighters continue to tackle blazepublished at 10:49 BST 31 July

    The fire at Dunwich Heath continues to burn as firefighters tackle the blaze for the third day.

    Officials this morning say the situation is not completely under control and that it remains a major incident.

    In the map below, you can see how the burnt area relates to the Sizewell power station site and holiday parks that were evacuated in recent days.

    Map of the Suffolk coast near Dunwich showing the location of a burnt area highlighted in purple. The affected area lies inland from the coast, between Cliff House Holiday Park and Coastguard Cottages, north of Sizewell B power station and east of Westleton Village Hall. An inset map of the UK marks the location on the east coast of England.
  6. People may be able to collect belongings laterpublished at 10:24 BST 31 July

    Zoie O'Brien
    BBC Look East

    We have just heard during the meeting at Westleton Village Hall that there may be a window of opportunity this afternoon for one member of every family to be escorted back to sites to collect belongings.

    This is likely to be from 13:30 BST onwards, we are told.

    Crews are still working to fight the fire which has affected an area the size of 200 football pitches.

  7. Still a 'fluid' situation, says local councilpublished at 10:21 BST 31 July

    Zoie O'Brien
    BBC Look East

    Suffolk County Council's emergency planning officer, Peter Langford, tells the briefing that it is still a situation which is not totally under control.

    "It is a fluid situation which we will continue to monitor," he says.

    Fire officials add that it is still being considered a major incident.

  8. Residents hope to go homepublished at 10:19 BST 31 July

    Zoie O'Brien
    BBC Look East

    People gathered in a village hall for a meeting. They are facing away from the camera towards the front of the hall. There are some members of the media with cameras, lights and microphones.Image source, Luke Deal/BBC

    Residents are telling us their hopes for this meeting are that they can retrieve their belongings and go home.

    They are very grateful for all of the support from local people, but would like to get back to some normality.

  9. Full house for morning briefingpublished at 10:16 BST 31 July

    People sitting on chairs in rows during a meeting at a village hall. They are all facing toward the right which is the front of the hallImage source, Jamie Niblock/BBC

    We are expecting another briefing from the fire service to start at Westleton Village Hall.

    The hall is already packed with residents, evacuees and members of the media.

    We will bring you the latest.

  10. Campsite owner dug own firebreakspublished at 10:15 BST 31 July

    Luke Deal
    BBC Radio Suffolk

    I've been speaking to people at Westleton Village Hall, which has been an evacuation centre for people displaced from their homes and holiday homes.

    David Watson owns Mill Hill Farm Caravan and Camping park, about three miles (4.8km) from the epicentre of the fire.

    Despite being confident that his campsite was safe, he says he got a digger out and started creating his own firebreak as a precaution.

    "I got my digger out. Our campsite is a habitat really, we have quite a bit of grassland for the birds and scrub for the turtle doves, that makes us more vulnerable, so I started to dig our own firebreaks in."

    David Watson in a turqoise jumper and a navy cap. He is standing in front of the village hall.Image source, Luke Deal/BBC

    David offered his facilities to those displaced by the fire on Thursday so they could shower and freshen up.

    "Most people were in shock, really, but they were relieved to freshen up."

    He said you could see the flames from his site yesterday, which worried many customers.

    The coastal heathland that dominates this part of Suffolk was the area's "biggest asset but our biggest vulnerability as well", he says.

    The only positive had been the way the "community has come together in a fantastic way", he adds.

  11. Fire-ravaged heath 'could take 25 years to recover'published at 10:05 BST 31 July

    George King and Luke Deal
    reporting from Suffolk

    A firefighter tackles a blaze that has sparked up in the vegetation.Image source, PA Media

    We can bring you some more from Adam Rowlands, who is the RSPB area manager in Suffolk.

    As we've been reporting, the fire service has confirmed that the blaze started at Minsmere nature reserve.

    Speaking to the BBC yesterday, Rowlands said that wildlife habitats devastated by the "utterly sickening" fire could take up to 25 years to recover - describing it as "hugely consequential".

    He explained that rare species of butterfly would have been in the egg stage at the time of the fire, and bird populations would be at risk.

    "It will look like a scene of devastation afterwards. All the vegetation will go and the majority of those birds will lose the places where they nest.

    "Some of that habitat will take five, 10, 25 years to come back to what it looked like before the fire broke out."

    There's more on this in our news story.

  12. 'Devastating to know' blaze began at nature reserve - RSPBpublished at 10:01 BST 31 July

    A fire can be seen on the horizon of an area of vegetationImage source, RSPB Minsmere

    Earlier we reported that the blaze began at RSPB Minsmere, according to the fire service.

    Speaking to BBC Radio Suffolk this morning, RSPB area manager in the county, Adam Rowlands, says it was "such a shock".

    "We know right across the healthland that risk is there at this time of year when the habitat is so dry [...] that first spark emerged from the RSPB land and that's devastating to know."

    Rowlands has also been speaking with BBC Breakfast in the last couple of hours, explaining that the reserve has "more species [and] greater biodiversity" than any other RSPB reserve in the country - including rare birds, invertebrates and reptiles.

    "At the end of it, people will draw breath and really take in the scale of loss," he says.

    Staff had been working at the site to boost population levels of rare bird species - some of which were at a "record high" prior to the fire.

    "All of that work has quite literally gone up in smoke," he says.

  13. 'No sign of damage' at evacuated holiday parkpublished at 09:45 BST 31 July

    Cliff House Holiday Park, which was evacuated on Wednesday night, has praised the work of the fire service this morning, saying there is "no sign of damage by fire" on the site.

    In a new update, the park says it still has no power and will remain closed until given permission to open.

    It asks people who were evacuated to wait for further instructions on when they can collect their belongings.

  14. Fire service 'overwhelmed' by supportpublished at 09:42 BST 31 July

    A fire service vehicle parked in a car park. Its side doors have been opened up with a desk sat outside where two firefighters sit and work.Image source, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service

    Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service says in an update the response to the wildfire has "taken a huge team effort" and it has been "overwhelmed by the support" received from other fire services and local people.

    In particular it thanked the fire services from Essex, Norfolk, London, West Yorkshire, East Sussex, Surrey and Northamptonshire.

    "We would also like to thank the many local businesses, farmers, volunteers, community groups and partner agencies who have stepped forward to help," they add.

    "Whether it's been donating food and drinks, lending equipment, providing practical support, or helping to look after those affected by the incident, people have gone above and beyond."

  15. Wetland should protect Sizewell nuclear stations - fire servicepublished at 09:40 BST 31 July

    A wide shot with Dunwich Heath in the foreground, with blackened ground showing signs of fire, and Sizewell nuclear plant (white dome at the centre) in the backgroundImage source, AFP via Getty Images

    Sizewell is about three miles (4.8km) south from the site of the blaze, says Suffolk's deputy fire chief Henry Griffin.

    He says a wetland area provides a natural firebreak, adding the fire service will continue to monitor the situation and stay in touch with the operational Sizewell B plant and under-construction Sizewell C.

  16. Community helping tackle firepublished at 09:26 BST 31 July

    "Crews have worked extremely hard," adds Griffin, as he also praises the local community who have "rallied" to help the firefighting effort.

    "It's not just a fire service response. We have bulldozers, we have water bowsers, we have the rest centre [in Westleston]. All of this community response has been absolutely fantastic," he says.

    Sizewell C, a new nuclear power station under construction a few miles down the coast, is one of the local companies which has sent a bulldozer to help make firebreaks.

    Managers at the site previously said they were "closely monitoring" the situation but said the fire "currently poses a low risk to Sizewell C".

  17. Oil rich vegetation 'burning fast'published at 09:21 BST 31 July

    Firefighters work to tackle a wildfire at Dunwich Heath. They are walking through an area of dense vegetation.Image source, PA Media

    The land that has been burning is full of "oil rich vegetation" which means it burns "incredibly fast", says Griffin.

    "So we're monitoring those deep seated hot spots that have got into the ground, into the roots of this vegetation and we're dampening that down to mitigate any re-ignition."

  18. Access 'tricky', says fire servicepublished at 09:12 BST 31 July

    We can now bring you more from Henry Griffin, Suffolk's deputy fire chief.

    As well as being used to create firebreaks, bulldozers are also making tracks for the fire service.

    Griffin tells BBC Breakfast: "This is a significant incident in terms of scale and terrain, so access is tricky for our crews - hence we have bulldozers making firebreaks and making tracks into the fire ground, so we can access the fire."

    A fire service off-road vehicle on the heathland. There are firefighters aiming a hose at the ground.Image source, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service
  19. National Trust staff helping to 'curb the fire'published at 08:58 BST 31 July

    Wilson says some staff at Dunwich Heath are helping with the fire effort - despite being evacuated from their homes.

    "We've had members of our Dunwich team directly affected, they've had to relocate. As have holidaymakers and other local residents as well.

    "They are being impacted on a personal level. Some of them have still been coming to site, they've been out alongside my ranger team in tractors helping the fire service, and under the direction of them to cut firebreaks and try and curb the fire."

    A firebreak is an area of open land that has been made by clearing the woodland and vegetation to stop the fire spreading.

  20. 'Everything has burnt'published at 08:42 BST 31 July

    Wilson adds: "From the images we've seen so far everything has burnt."

    The area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and has nature designations, he says.

    "We have this mosaic of woodland, heather heathland which it's mostly known for, and gorse and higher plants and scrub.

    "[It's] a lowland heathland, it's coastal, so it's fairly rare in it's own right from that."

    The trunk of a tree burns in the remains of a wildfire at Dunwich Heath.Image source, PA Media