Summary

  • There was a track "irregularity" near the site of a train derailment in Lewes last week, an initial report says - here's what we learned

  • The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has been investigating after three carriages of a Southern Railway train from London Victoria flipped on their sides on Thursday

  • Around 150 people were on the train - one passenger told the BBC it felt like "we'd been lifted into the air"

  • The report says there is evidence that "some movement" had previously taken place on the railway embankment, but there is no evidence of a significant slip

  • Thirty people were injured with 20 taken to hospital - two passengers who suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries remain there

  • The railway between Lewes and Hayward Heath will be closed for at least one more week as the train is recovered and tracks are repaired

Media caption,
Aerial footage shows derailed train
  1. Derailment investigation's initial report releasedpublished at 12:36 BST
    Breaking

    The initial report from the investigation into Thursday's derailment in Lewes, East Sussex, has just been released by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch.

    We are looking through it now and will bring you the key lines as we get them.

  2. Analysis

    What do investigators look at?published at 12:27 BST

    Katy Austin
    Transport correspondent

    Two emergency workers sat in hi vis with equipment next to themImage source, PA Media

    We're anticipating an update today including some initial facts. It's still early stages in the overall investigation though - the final report won't come out for a while.

    We know that experts from the Rail Accident Investigation Branch have been examining the accident site and the train itself, and taking a close look at the infrastructure.

    Other evidence includes CCTV, data downloaded from the train, and signalling data.

    Their job is to piece together what happened and come up with recommendations to stop something like this happening again.

    Other investigations are done by the industry, and by the safety regulator the Office of Rail and Road.

  3. 'It felt like we'd been lifted into the air'published at 12:01 BST

    Rachel Heath, who caught the affected train, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme she felt like "we'd been lifted into the air".

    "Everyone was screaming and I just remember looking around and seeing so much panic and fear in people’s eyes, and all of a sudden it felt like we’d been lifted into the air and then came back down and the train just fell on to its side," she said.

    Tracy McGregor was also travelling on the train, in carriage seven - one of the coaches which left the tracks.

    She told the BBC: "When the carriage left the tracks, it felt like it went on forever.

    "I took the brace position, I was preparing to die.

    "When the train did stop, we were stood on the glass of the windows but the carriage was just full of earth."

    She said the first emergency services arrived on the scene within 10 minutes.

    Picture of a train carriage on its side with the windows lying on the grass, while passengers stand upright in the carriageImage source, Tracey McGregor
    Image caption,

    Tracey McGregor said when the train stopped, she was "stood on the glass of the windows" and the carriage was "full of earth"

  4. What we know about the train derailmentpublished at 11:47 BST

    Three carriages of a passenger left the tracks in Lewes, East Sussex, at around 15:44 BST on Thursday 13 August.

    It happened as the 14:24 Eastbourne-bound Southern service approached the East Sussex town from London Victoria.

    All lines between Lewes and Haywards Heath were closed following the derailment, with railway officials warning disruption will continue until at least August 26.

    A map of south-eastern England. A red line traces a railway route from central London to near the south coast. The start is labelled to explain the train left London Victoria at 14:24 BST. Gatwick Airport station is labelled halfway down the route. The location of the train derailment is labelled in red, just north of Lewes, which appears just north-east of Brighton. A dotted line continues to Eastbourne, where a label shows the train was due to arrive at 15:51.
    A picture of the train showing buckled tracks, three carriages on their side, and the river next to them
  5. Update expected on Lewes train derailment investigationpublished at 11:39 BST

    Railway carriages on their side, stretching from a railway line down the side of a small embankment. Emergency workers crowd at the bottom of the embankment.Image source, Jack Valpy/BBC
    Image caption,

    Authorities are investigating how a train derailed near Lewes in East Sussex

    Good morning.

    We are expecting an update today on the investigation into a train derailment where three carriages of a passenger train tumbled off the track in Lewes, East Sussex earlier this month.

    Two people remain in hospital with serious but non life-threatening injuries and authorities said 18 others were also taken to hospital with less serious injuries.

    They were later discharged.

    A Rail Accident Investigation Branch team has been examining the derailed train and railway infrastructure at the site, in part reviewing CCTV footage and signalling data.

    We expect to receive an update from investigators today. As always, our reporters are poised to bring you the key lines as they come in.