|
Here we see Thomas Raven’s 1622 picture-map of The Clothworkers’ village and bawn. Raven’s use of perspective here is interesting: the middle of the image shows the River Bann running down towards the sea; and on the right-hand side, in miniature, is outlined the walled town of Coleraine. The Clothworkers’ manor-house stood on the opposite side of the Bann in the area now occupied by Coleraine’s County Hall: no trace of the building survives. Interestingly, the bawn wall appears to have been erected in a segmentary form: it is a series of straight lines rather than being in the usual rectangular format. This may be something to do with the topography on which County Hall now stands.
The lower half of the image shows The Clothworkers’ village. Running next to a stream is a mill, and one single street is occupied by what mostly look like Irish houses: one or two of them have rectangular form but they all appear to be single-storey, probably clay or wattle-built, with small thatched roofs, some with and some without chimneys. This is in the area of Articlave but the precise location is now unknown.
|