Nobody can stop Fury-Joshua from happening - Hearn

Eddie Hearn hopes to stage a fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury in the United Kingdom
- Published
Promoter Eddie Hearn said "no-one can pull out" of the proposed fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
Fury claimed on Friday that the fight was unlikely to happen, but Hearn, who represents Joshua, stated the fight will go ahead.
"We've signed the contract, we're waiting for a date. You saw Tyson Fury shouting and screaming ... there's nothing to shout and scream about, the fight's done," Hearn told DAZN.
"The fight's signed. No-one can pull out of the fight. You can't just pull out of a contract.
"There's no suggestion that the fight's not happening, no-one can stop this fight from happening. The only way it can stop from happening is if they actually breach the contract."
Fury and Joshua had been expected to meet in November in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history.
Joshua and his promoter Hearn have signed a contract for it to be staged in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers Sela are pushing for a move to the United States.
It means Joshua and his promoters Matchroom are asking for changes to the contract, including a bigger purse for the two-time heavyweight world champion to compensate for the added cost of fighting in the US.
"What [the Saudis] want to do is they want to pay Anthony Joshua less money because that's how it'll work out with the difference in location, they want him to do a load of additional stuff," Hearn said.
"I'm not going to blow things up which I could do so easily but there has been breaches in AJ's contract already which we've let slide because these guys are our partners and our friends or were [our friends].
"There's a game being played at the moment."
Joshua and Fury have separate contracts with Sela.
New York's Madison Square Garden is understood to be Sela's preference so that the fight - which will be broadcast on Netflix - can cater for American audiences.
"We know everybody and his dog involved in the fight wants to do the fight in America. We don't," added Hearn.
"We've told Sela and the team 'if you want to do it in America, these are the terms that we can move forward with. But we'd rather not please'."
Talks seem to have been further complicated by the involvement of UFC boss Dana White, whose Zuffa Boxing venture is backed by the Saudis.
Fury has already said he welcomes White's involvement, but Hearn has again insisted the American will not be the promoter for the bout.
"Dana White told the world he's the promoter of the event. He's not, he can't be and he won't be," Hearn told TalkSport.
"Now if he comes in as a representative or an advisor for Tyson Fury, I guess they could sneak him in on that team.
"[It would be a] bit embarrassing because he told everyone he's the promoter."
Related topics
More on boxing from BBC Sport
- Published1 day ago

- Published22 hours ago

- Published1 day ago

- Published28 April 2024

More boxing from the BBC
- Published8 June
